Saturday, August 27, 2011

August DB 2011 challenge - Candylicious, Tempering Chocolate

Photobucket

Photobucket

This month's challenge was to temper chocolate and make bonbons.

This was a a great challenge I have always wanted to temper chocolate and luckily I got into a great chocolate making class and I made these lovely bonbons.

Also I was extra excited since the challenge was co-hosted by Lisa one of my favourite bloggers and we a special joint project coming soon.

Since I made my chocolate at school they worked out very well I thought. The other forum members really went all out the creativity was amazing.

I have to make this a short-and-sweet posting since I'm writing a "short novel" that needs my full attention at the moment.

Blog-checking lines:
The August 2011 Daring Bakers’ Challenge was hosted by Lisa of Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drive and Mandy of What the Fruitcake?!. These two sugar mavens challenged us to make sinfully delicious candies! This was a special challenge for the Daring Bakers because the good folks at http://www.chocoley.com offered an amazing prize for the winner of the most creative and delicious candy!

Chocolate School results
I was in Balmain and I saw that a shop was having "chocolate" classes and I was lucky enough to get the last place for the very expensive course. These are the results of the classes (over two days), I made six kinds of bon bons. I have to admit that I got better and better at tempering chocolate some of the bon bons came out very shiny, since the moulds where brand new. The class was very informative and entertaining well worth it I thought! I'm not sure if these count for the challenge since I made these in class using their fancy moulds and top quality equipment but I loved learning so many new processes and techniques. (Sorry I wasn't allow to take photos in the class).

I did learn that you can only get very shiny chocolate coatings by using a mould and the better the quality of the surface of the mould the better the final shine of the coating.

Dolphin - blue/grey coloured choc mould filled with choc truffle marzipan mousse filling
Pink heart - pink choc coating with white choc cream & strawberry jam filling
Heart with dark red swirl - swirled dark red choc coating with chilli choc cream filling
Mint Leaf - dark choc coating with mint choc cream filling
Box with bow - shiny tempered choc coating with praline filling
Oblong topped with orange peel - dark choc coating with orange choc cream filling

Assorted bons bons
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

24 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Truly stunning! You rocked this challenge!!!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Simply stunning with beautiful shine absolutely love it.

Pavithra
www.dishesfrommykitchen.com

kouky said...

WOW! Audax your chocolates are fabulous! I love it so much!!

Lisa said...

Your chocolates are breathtaking, Aud. Like I told you via email..my nephew wants those dolphins! He even cried for them (awww). You're one of my fav bloggers too, and SO glad you took part in the challenge! I had no idea you went to chocolate school for these. The temper is stunning on all of them, so you learned well!! Looking forward to our project!

Rajani said...

These look great, so professional!

Mafalda Cardoso said...

Shiny chocolicious bonbons, Audax!!

stacie tamaki said...

Beautiful Audax! I love all the chocolates you made in your class and even though I love how shiny the bow is that little candied orange peel is calling my name :) Now you've got me thinking maybe I should take a class or two!

Renata said...

So great that you had the opportunity to attend chocolate school during the challenge month. Your bonbons are so beautiful, shiny, and the colors are amazing! Can't wait to hear about your project with Lisa... I'm very curious!

Lucy said...

Great looking chocolates

shelley c. said...

What a perfect coincidence that you found chocolate school during this challenge month! I would imagine it was super fun, and the results look fantastic!

Sarah said...

They look great. I had taken a fabulous chocolate making class in Orlando last year with Pierre Wybauw. It is amazing how much they know about chocolate. Good luck with the book.

The Capitol Baker said...

I love your dolphin mold! Great job on the challenge!

MandyM said...

Pity you couldn't have taken a sneaky photo on your mobile during the course (that's what I did, couldn't help myself).
Cute shapes and lovely shine.
Good luck with writing your novel!

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Wow - they are so impressive. What a brilliant idea to go to chocolate school to do them! Wish I had thought of that.
Lou.

Sue said...

Audax, I have neglected the DB for months, but I love to look at the results of others. Your candy looks beautiful and delicious! So professional! Bravo to you!
Good luck with your novel:) I also look forward to seeing what you and Lisa are up to!

Anonymous said...

How lucky for you to get a chance at a chocolate class- what timing!They all look and sound fabulous
Best, Sandie

T. said...

How excellent that you got to take part in a chocolate class...what perfect timing. All your candies look wonderful!

Slanecek said...

Now these are wonderful! Thank you so much for explaining that I can't get the shiny surface on coated pralines as this was really troubling my mind. And yes, you really rock!

Within the Kitchen said...

Great job Audax! It was a great challenge this month!
-ceecee

UFRV said...

Simply beautiful :-)

Irina said...

Great chocolates Audax! I think my favourite (in terms of taste) would be the orange chocolate one, but I wouldn't pass on the others either!

Nina said...

Truly amazing chocolates:). You have a great blog out here. Loved it:)

Marisa said...

Those chocolates look absolutely perfect - so shiny! Would love to have mine look like that.

Titus said...

Really effective data, thanks for this article.
success definition | ball joint | new homes in Vaughan